“All work and no play make Jack a dull boy” This is a proverb, that I am sure you’ve heard a million times before today. It means that without time off from work, a person becomes both bored and boring. The saying appeared first in James’ Proverbs in English, Italian and French in 1659. I have always wondered how it came to be. I’ve also wondered why in reference to “boy and not a girl”? I am still doing my research on that one so I’ll get back to you. I am doing this research with the hope of understanding why at the same time realizing that it is actually true.
Without time off from work, a person becomes both bored and boring.We fear boredom- that we might be bored or, even worse, bore others.
What does it mean?
1. Ending up having unbalanced conversations- all listening and no talking or all talking and no listening
2. Failure to make people laugh – humour is an indication of cognitive flexibility.
3. Failure to have an opinion through knowing both sides of the argument.
4. Failure to see things from other people’s perspectives-losing the ability to place oneself in another person’s shoes- lacking emotional intelligence.
5. Failure to be creative or innovative
1. Reading motivational books or focusing on academic goals.
2. Working on tasks that you have been putting off.
3. Visiting friends
4. Learning new skills-through exercise- keeping both the body and mind active- playing golf.
5. Doing yoga-building strength and turning into the present.
6. Making plans for upcoming trips and events- learning to plan ahead-holidays
7. Re-organizing the home- resulting in a feeling of accomplishment
8. Having a photo shoot
9. Writing creatively- starting a blog which is challenging, helping in distracting the boredom, writing anything that comes to mind, developing ideas and being creative. Expressing something positive, feeling better and restored.